Love pasta? Who doesn’t! Spaghetti squash is a healthier substitute for pasta because it’s gluten free, low calorie, low fat, low carb and nutritious. While we won’t tell you spaghetti squash tastes like pasta, because well, its still squash, it is delicious and can hold a meat sauce with tenacity. Whether you scoop or twirl this meaty delight, mangia!
- Yield: 4 Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Serving: 4 Spaghetti Squash Boats
Meaty Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is easy! You can use a jar of sauce, frozen peas and the ground beef you have in the fridge or freezer. We love this recipe because it is SUPER adaptable, you can adjust the amount of sauce, meat or veggies to your preference and it tastes great.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise, brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Place cut side down on baking sheet (use parchment paper) and bake approximately 45-60 minutes (depending on squash size) until tender.
- While the squash is baking, add a small amount of oil to a skillet and add ground beef, season with remaining salt and pepper. Cook beef until almost completely brown, slightly pink because this will continue to cook in the sauce. If you want LARGE chucks of meat, keep the chucks large, if you want small pieces of meat, break up the meat more while cooking. Keep in mind the meat does shrink down a little so leave the chunks a little larger than you want them once they are cooked.
- Add pasta sauce and peas and stir, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until hot and ground beef reaches 160 degrees F
- Remove squash from oven, using a fork, scrape the flesh to create long strands
- Top with meaty mighty sauce and grated parmesan or pecorino romano cheese