- Yield: 16 Meatballs, 4 Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Meatball Parmesan Hero Sandwich
Mamma Mia! It’s meatball parm hero time 🙂
Hearty deliciously seasoned meatballs in marinara topped with melty mozzarella on crispy crunchy hero Italian bread.
- Ground Beef - 1 1/3 Lb
- Large Eggs - 2
- Cubed Bread - 2 cups
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Yellow Onion, diced - 1 Cup
- Parmesan or Pecorino Romano Cheese - 1/4 Cup
- Minced Garlic - 1 1/2 tsp
- Italian Seasoning - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Marinara Sauce - 48 ounces (2 jars)
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Cube bread into 1/4" pieces and pour milk over bread. Soak the cubed bread and absorbed, approx 5-10 minutes
- In a medium or large skillet, over medium low heat add olive oil, enough to coat the bottom of the pan, add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft and slightly translucent. Remove onions and garlic and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine beef, soaked bread cubes, onion and garlic mixture, parmesan, eggs, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Form meat into golf ball sized meatballs (tip, roll meatballs with slightly oiled or wet palms so meat doesn't stick). Should yield 14-16 meatballs depending on size.
- In the skillet, replenish and heat olive oil. Over medium high heat pan fry meatballs turning occasionally, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Transfer meatballs into your favorite marinara sauce and continue to cook meatballs in simmering sauce until meatballs are fully cooked.
- On a baking sheet or baking safe dish, spoon a layer of sauce onto your Italian bread roll (sub, hero, hoagie) and add 3-4 meatballs onto the bottom of the bread.
- Top with sliced mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted.